A bit of a shorter post today because of the mini updates I gave earlier in the week.
I visited the workshop to see my fused glass work. I’d been thinking about the finish and whether to slump it so that it stands on its own as a curved piece, or to leave it flat and then place in a stand.
I’d been leaning more to flat as I felt it would be better give the scene. When I got to the workshop and had a look, because of the scene, I felt some of it would be lost with a curve, so I’ve stuck with my first impression and will collect in about a week as they didn’t have a block stand for it.
I’ll share the finished piece next week hopefully.
I also made a coaster featuring a bee on a flower (in an abstract kinda way) which I hadn’t shared because I screwed it up at the very end by accidentally removing the whole top from the glue bottle and tipping a load on to the work. I mean, it was everywhere. As a result of this mishap, the frit and stringers flowed out of my carefully placed positions 😦
Mop up in Cubicle 2! 😂
I was hoping to share a finished picture, but with all the cleanup from the glue slick, I forgot to add a wing to the bee! So it looks a bit slug like at the moment. I’ve now added a wing piece and it is going in for another firing. Fingers crossed!
More to follow!
I’ve added a warp to the loom. This will be a quick scarf to fill time while I think about the next project. I was going to flashback to my first weaving workshop and recreate a simple scarf where you have vertical lines on one side and horizontal lines on the other.
The yarn I am using is from stash, which is could seeing as I just added with fresh yarn. Need to keep a balance of sorts. One in, two out! I’ve used the yarn previously for a scarf in houndstooth and now I am using it again, I recall it was challenging because of its fuzzy nature which made any unpicking hard work because it would catch. Plus, the previous scarf lost some impact because of the fuzziness.
I warped this on Thursday as I was on my part time furlough day. I was going to be off today, but with the VAT change for hotels in the UK, work needed me in. And there was me looking forward to a four day weekend 😦
I was undecided on how I was going to weave this. The warp is 4 black, 2 red. So my weft options were 2 black, 1 red or 2 black, 2 red or 3 black, 1 red or as above which I decided on, 4 black and 2 red the same as the warp. You can see the effects on this draft.
I felt this yarn was going to need bold stripes because it loses pattern with smaller single picks of colour. I love how simple changes to weft, can make very different patterns.
Stay tuned! And have a great weekend.